Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Tough Dame Cabernet, Too Much for Any Man...

OK.  I admit it.  I bought this for the name and the label.  This is something I rarely do.  But, I'll get to the wine later.  Let's start with dinner. 

Tonight's dinner was a slow cooker pot roast.  Very quickly on my lunch hour today, I cut up some onion, dropped in the meat, and dumped in a random bottle of wine (really random, the label was actually missing, so I couldn't even tell you what it was, other than it was a red wine).  Ground in some salt, pepper, and threw in Herbes de Provence.  Set for 7 hours.  Done.  Alongside, we had plain green beans (yuck), and some Alexia (brand, frozen seasoned) Olive Oil & Rosemary potatoes.  I gotta hand it to those Alexia people.  They're pretty good.  Though, to be fair, mine are better :)  Maybe one day, I'll share my recipe!

Onto the 2009 Red Brick Cellars Tough Dame Cabernet, California.  Let me describe the label.  Black, white, red.  Woman in a low cut dress and black gloves passed the elbow holding a smoking gun.  Across the bottom of the label is the same woman (this is an assumption) lying down with a man who is kissing her, and she's about to stab him in the back.  I mean, why wouldn't you want to buy this?  I ordered it through http://www.winetasting.com/, which is the new name for the Geerlings & Wade company, who used to be the parent company for The Traveling Vineyard, who I used to conduct in-home wine tastings for.  You follow?

Now, it is a cabernet, so right off the bat, you should let it breath.  It is definitely smoother now than when I first sipped it with dinner.  Right now, on the nose I get such a great cherry smell.  When I taste it, dark red berries and some oak.  Now, Danny just asked me to split a chocolate bar with him and it's actually going quite nicely.  Not perfect, but nicely. 

All in all, there are certainly better Cabernets out there, but maybe not with better labels.

In Vino Veritas!

No comments:

Post a Comment