Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Jonathan Edwards Winery

So this past weekend, we took a trip to North Stonington, CT to visit what has become a favorite spot, Jonathan Edwards Winery.  This is actually our third time there this year!  We went in celebration of our 15 year wedding anniversary with some very good friends to share.  I packed up some fantastic cheeses that I picked up from Tallmadge Cheese Market in Montclair, NJ.  We had some bread, crackers, and even chocolate.  We were all set!

So, the tasting consisted of 8 wines, 3 whites and 5 reds.  Since there's so many, I'll try to make each one quick.  So, let's get started...

2009 Napa Valley Sauvignon Blanc.  This is just light and crisp and complemented the day itself as we sat out on the deck in the warm sunshine.  Very nice citrus notes that were not at all overpowering. 

2009 Estate Connecticut Chardonnay.  I enjoy this one ~ mainly because, while I don't normally go for a Chardonnay, this one doesn't see quite as much oak as you would typically find.  It's partially oak / then into Stainless Steel.  Makes a big difference in the end results. 

2008 Napa Valley Chardonnay.  So, contrary to my above comment, I still liked this one.  It definitely sees more oak, and you get that in the more buttery flavor.  I'd pick the Estate over this one, but I wouldn't spit it out either (and, yes, I've spit out wine). 

Onto the reds...

2008 Estate Connecticut Cabernet Franc.  Cabernet Franc is usually used as a blending grape, but we're finding a lot more simply being bottled as is and I, for one, am glad.  It quite light, like a Pinot Noir, but the flavor is more earthy than a Pinot.  I'd pair this with Thanksgiving dinner in a heartbeat. 

2008 Napa Valley Merlot.  I've said it before, I am not drinking any F(*&ing Merlot.  OK, so I am.  Don't pass this up.  Really nice berry & fruit flavors, light oak.  Pair with something savory.

2007 Napa Valley Zinfindel.  I have two favorites.  This is one of them.  Not too heavy on the spices, but you get them.  This is my perfect Pizza wine :)

2007 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.  Grilled meats.  'Nuff said.

2007 Napa Valley Petite Syrah.  This is my other favorite.  I can't even put into words how delicious this wine is.  There's plum, there's spice, there's dark berry fruit.  Don't pair this with just anything.  Your perfect Filet Mignon is waiting for this. 

Now, you may have noticed that most of the wines say Napa Valley, and we were in CT.  The grapes are grown and crushed in California, and shipped East for fermentation, bottling, etc. 

If you ever find yourself in the Mystic Area of CT, look this place up ~ you will NOT regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment