Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Domaine de Monpertuis Vin de Pays du Gard Vignoble de la Ramiere Counoise 2009 ~ Chicken Parmesan

So, I'm sure I've blogged my Chicken Parmesan before. I won't bore you with the recipe.  I mean, it's chicken parmesan.  Went through my (at this point) pretty scarce wine rack and came up with...

Domaine de Monpertuis Vin de Pays du Gard Vignoble de la Ramiere Counoise 2009
 
One of my Wine of the Month wines from Amanti Vino (wine shop on Church Street in Montclair ~ fabulous).  So, the wine, that's what you're here for, right?? 
 
As soon as we opened it, Matt commented on just how good is smelled.  This is a french wine (in case you couldn't figure that one out) from the Rhone Valley.  At $12.99 this is affordable AND delicious.  The grape ~ Counoise, I know, I never heard of it either.  It's another one of these grapes more known for blending and not used on it's own (think Cab Franc, which, BTW, I love on it's own). 
 
So, let's get down to details.  On the nose, earthy, yet deeply fruity, but dark red fruits.  It's alcohol content is 13%, so you really don't get any overwhelming "alcohol smell", which is nice.  It's body is medium to heavy, I think leaning to medium.  After a little swirl in the glass, on the nose, I get more cherry or strawberry notes.  I find the tannins very soft and it's a very easy drinking wine.  Sometimes those tannins give you that overly-steeped tea feeling in the mouth and you don't get that here at all.  A very fruit forward taste also makes it a nice wine on it's own.
 
So, the pairing with the Chix Parm.  Maybe not the best.  Definitely not the worst.  I wish I would have brought this to one of my favorite restaurants - Passione, in Montclair.  And, at this price, I can definitely be pursuaded to buy more for just that purpose!! 
 
In Vino Veritas ~

No comments:

Post a Comment