Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Loire Valley & Champagne Tasting

So, last night I finally went on a date with Matt.  Especially once school starts, and all the soccer, football, scout schedules start, it gets tough.  Anyway, we went to Amanti Vino for a Tasting / Seminar.  The speaker was an importer from Nashville, TN.  He was quite engaging and fun to listen to.  And, we tasted 10 different wines!  So, this may take a while.  Unfortunately, I didn't bring a pen, so I didn't get to take any notes.  So, much of this will be from memory (which, after 10 wines might not be at it's best). 

We started with 3 "bubbly" wines.  The first, Jean Francois Merieau "Bulles".  It was OK.  I wouldn't rush off to buy it.  The next two were a little different.  Donson and Lepage Recolte Blanche ~ when I first tasted this, I was a little put off by the amount of bubbles.  Once I got past that first sip, it softened up somewhat.  I'm not a big fan of Champagne, but this was nice.  Finally, we had the Donson and Lepage Recolte Rose.  Now, I also shy away from most "pink" wines.  I'm glad I didn't.  This was made of 100% Pinot Noir.  You could breathe in the strawberry and it tasted delicious.  If I were a big spender, I'd keep this around. 

Now, onto the white wines, of which there were 5.  We started with the Jardin de la Fruitere.  Not much to write home about, but I see it as an easy summer sipper.  Next, we tasted the Delhommeau Muscadet Cuvee St. Vincent.  Description shows notes of lime, thyme, and lemon verbena, honeydew.  While I did taste all that, it didn't seem to blend well for me. 

Now, the Domain des Huards 2006 Cour-Cheverny.  I tasted honey in this.  For me, that was prominent.  And, I won't say that I didn't like it, but I will say that it needs food.  Some wines just need food to go with them.  So, last night, I wasn't my favorite, but with the right food pairing, it has a lot of potential.

Probably my favorite white of the evening was the Claude Riffault Sancerre "Les Boucauds".  Grapefruit, lemon, lovely minerality.  It had what I enjoy in a white wine.  Our last white wine of the evening was Damien Laureau Savennieres "Les Genets".  I can honestly say at this time that I don't remember it, so that's it. 

Onto the Reds, of which, unfortunately, there were only 2.  The first red we tasted was the Vacheron Sancerre Rouge "Belle Dame".  This was a fantastic Pinot Noir.  You could taste and smell the cherries and blackberry flavors.  OMG, it was soooo good.  Would probably be even better if decanted. 

Then, the last wine of the evening was the Jean-Francois Merieau Cot "Cent Visages".  It had a smokey flavor, which might be better if opened up a bit.  At the time we drank it, though, not so fantastic. 

At the end of the night, I would say not all the best tasting wines I've ever had.  The two that I really, really liked were both over $60 a bottle, so not something I'd run out and buy anyway.  I've had just as good, if not better, at a more reasonable price point.  But, Matt & I got to go out and spend time alone together, and taste quite a few new wines, and that's what we enjoy doing ~ good or bad.  The more you taste, the more you know. 

I hope you're enjoying my blogs.  If you are, please click "follow" on the right and keep reading.  I'll do my best to continue posting on a regular basis.

In Vino Veritas!

No comments:

Post a Comment