Sunday, October 3, 2010

La Colombina Palpito Toscana Rosso 2006 Paired with a Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast

I LOVE MY CROCK POT!!!  Especially this time of year, it's so comforting to come home from work and have dinner made :)    Well, yesterday was Saturday, and I don't work on Saturdays ~ or, come to think of it, I work for my kids on Saturdays with all the driving to activities, etc.  So, the crockpot still comes in handy on the weekends.

So, in the late morning, I heated up some oil in a pan, pressed in some garlic and threw in a pinch of red pepper flakes.  I browned a chuck roast into that.  I put that into my crockpot and dumped in whatever wine was left out of a bottle of red I had opened a couple days ago.  I just added water to give some more moisture and sprinkled the roast in a bunch of Pampered Chef Italian Seasoning.  Put it on High for about 5 hours or so, and the results were DELICIOUS!!  I just took out some of the 'jus' out of the crock pot to pour over the tender roast for some additional moisture, if needed. 

Now, I chose to do Italian seasoning on the Pot Roast because Danny & I (yes, my 8-year-old) had chosen the La Colombina Palpito Toscana Rosso for Matt (my husband, who is over 21) & I to drink with our dinner last night.  So, Italian Wine with Italian Food.  Always a good idea.  This wine selection also came from Amanti Vino and was one of my September Wine of the Month selections...

...and, what a fantastic selection it was!!!  We tasted jammy red berries, cherry, and a touch of pepper.  I had actually decanted it for a few hours before drinking it ~ I think that was a fantastic idea.  It really opened it up.  This is a Super Tuscan blend, so as such, it's main grape is Sangiovese (ok, it's not ALWAYS Sangiovese, but more often than not).  After that, it's 30% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Pinot Nero.  I do love Italian Wine, and this was no exception.  I'm making Baked Ziti tonight, so we may be reviewing another Italian wine with that.  I guess we'll see!

In Vino Veritas!

No comments:

Post a Comment